Wednesday, January 5, 2022

AUDIOBOOK REVIEW: Fable of Happiness, Part One by Pepper Winters

 

Book
Fable of Happiness, Part One by Pepper Winters

Narrated by

Tor Thom and Charley Ongel

https://adbl.co/32TqePg

It’s the start of something huge. From New York Times best seller Pepper Winters comes a new dark romance full of decadent angst, monstrous heroes, and pages chock-full of lust.

A house hidden in the middle of nowhere. A man who’s lived alone for a decade. A woman who trespasses on his solitude. A love full of hate, as well as hunger. The thing about my life is...I was never in control of it. I just I thought I was. I thought I had everything figured out - a good career, fun hobbies, a bright future, but everything changed when I found an ivy-cloaked house, tucked in a forgotten valley, hiding a man who corrupted my world forever.I thought I was successful, until he showed me fortune and happiness could be snatched away in an instant. I believed I was blessed, but really, I was cursed. Cursed to become a plaything for a monster. Cursed to become a prisoner just because I trespassed.

Now, I know nothing. I am nothing. I’m just his.

Please note this is a dark romance and not suitable for people who have triggers. Content included can be hard to hear and is recommended only for people who like dark romance.


REVIEW


Not going to lie this was WAY darker than I was expecting. Being that this is my first book by Pepper Winters I really had no idea what I was in for or what to expect. The story is captivating and intriguing right from the beginning and I found myself fascinated by the setting and plot and the events that led the hero to live a life of isolation with no human contact for over 10 years. Having said this I really struggled with Kassen and his cruel, disturbing thoughts. It was apparent that he is a deeply disturbed with a horrific past of sexual abuse/assault. He is in need of some serious psychotherapy before he can ever be a character I route for. As this is book one of a trilogy there is a lot more to learn and hopefully more will be answered in the next book and we will begin to see some redemption for Kassen. Gemma is the strong one of the two. She endured so much at the hands of a man with a terribly dark past. She fights hard against him and I empathized with her, however there were times when I really questioned her ability to be attracted to someone who pushed the lines of consent, and tried to kill her numerous times. The story is narrated in duet by Tor Thom and Charley Ongel. They both have strong, powerhouse voices and did an excellent job bringing these complicated characters to life. **narration 4/5 stars, story 3/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

REVIEW: Vengeance of a Mafia Queen by Siobhan Davis

They tried to take everything from me. But where they failed, I will succeed. Unless he becomes my weakness. Vengeance of...